The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has been on the path of development through various strategies, reforms and innovation. Such large scale initiatives at national level requires competent generalists to support the other stakeholders with greater commitment facilitating the leadership efforts at the federal, regional and local level paving the way for sustained development. It is believed that presently there are a large proportion of civil and public servants in Ethiopia who possess the requisite qualifications at undergraduate level but short of Knowledge, skills and Attitude required working at national and regional level to fill such positions. As a result, the Government itself and other stakeholders have identified the development of a Masters Program in Public Management as one of the several intervention strategies to be used in closing this debilitating capacity gap.
The main objective of the program is to produce public managers capable of attuning to implement the government development policies in the interest of the public at large. Within the broad framework of the University’s mandate, the program aims at equipping the graduating students with the basic concepts, theories and tools for analytical thinking, sound judgment, innovation, leadership and other critical managerial skills required to serve the public at large.
Exit Level Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to
- formulate strategic plans that lay the foundation for aligning activities, core process, and resources to support mission-related results;
- forge strategic alliance among regional and local governments’ institutions;
- develop strategies to promote socio-economic development of the country by reducing poverty;
- apply skills to act as a ‘change agent’ that will contribute in the task of nation-building.
- design tools and methods of human resources management in order to achieve the government’s long, medium, and short term policies, strategies and programs.
- apply public management principles and ensure sound management practices.
- devise mechanisms to work in teams among civil servants, groups and the institution as a whole.
- Apply public policy models to enhance policy environment.
- design system of transparency and accountability to promote high level of ethical standards in all public management practices.
- Apply research methods to analyze problems and to mitigate development challenges.