Public policy is a relatively recent science which has got special emphasis to find out what governments decide, why, when and to what end they decide. Policy science also helps to study the power dynamics among various policy actors in all the policy processes: problem identification; agenda setting, policy formulation, policy legitimation, policy implementation and evaluation. In Ethiopia, knowledge and skills about public policy is limited. As a result, many experts and public managers do not consider their sectoral activities as part and parcel of policies. Absence of training programs in the higher learning institutions and lack of research think-tanks partially contribute to the low conceptual knowledge and experience in the area.
With the informative emphasis and guidance stipulated by the country’s Capacity Building Strategies that came out in 2001, the Ethiopian Civil Service University has become a pioneering institution to launch the program as of 2011/12 Academic Year. This has, of course, been preceded by a nation-wide needs assessment survey both in federal and state public institutions whose findings has unanimously supplemented the ECSU’s historic initiatives taken to launch a Masters study program for public managers and experts in the country.
Exit Level Outcomes
Graduate of public policy studies are able to :
- Design public policy and strategies at various governance levels (national, state and local) and sectoral institutions;
- Evaluate the outcomes of ongoing national/state policies and programming cooperation with other professionals and stakeholders;
- Analyze prospective policies and strategies given existing national/state contexts ;
- Apply principles , tools, and techniques of public policymaking processes;
- Synthesize stakeholders’ needs and views to facilitate policy consensus among the various interest groups
- Critically understand contemporary and emerging theories, principles and issues of global and local contexts as basis for policymaking processes;
- Conduct scientific researches that add new insights to the existing body of policy knowledge and solve practical problems
- Analyze and evaluate the benefits and costs of policy options or alternatives
- Develop policy advocacy strategies, tools, and techniques to communicate to and mobilize relevant stakeholders
- Deliver efficient and effective public policy services in an ethical and professional manner