Batch: Masters Accounting and Finance (Live Batch)
The target audience of the Master programme in Accounting and Finance consists of students who are aiming for a career as, for example, chief financial officer (CFO), controller, treasurer, auditor or accounting expert, or in other financial management or accounting functions, in internal audit, assurance, or management consultancy, or as a financial analyst or investment banker. The programme meets this need by providing a comprehensive, rigorous, yet applied treatment of key areas of accounting, management control, and corporate finance. It is founded on the idea that learning is fruitful when a subject matter is applied in practical decision contexts. Hence, strong emphasis is put on training participants’ abilities to discerningly and critically apply their knowledge in decision situations, and the programme makes intensive use of applications-oriented pedagogics, not least extensive,challenging, team-based projects, cases, and experiments. The programme expects a high level of academic performance from its participants, challenging participants to approach problems with a
probing mindset and to evaluate corporate and societal consequences of possible solutions. Successful completion requires a significant amount of both independent study and team work.
Accounting, corporate finance, and management control are closely related parts of the broader accounting and finance field. They all lie at the intersection where business strategy, processes, and information combine and represent critical functions in organizations to ensure that decisions, processes, and behaviors are consistent with corporate objectives and that strategies are related to performance. The strong emphasis on elective courses allows participants to benefit from the wide coverage of the field that the elective courses provide. The program caters equally to participants who desire to develop a broad understanding of the field and to those who rather wants to specialize to develop a deep understanding of accounting, corporate finance, or management control.
Exit Level Outcomes
The programme builds on previous studies at the undergraduate level including knowledge obtained in business administration, accounting, and corporate finance. In accordance with the Ethiopian Higher Education Ordinance, the Degree of Master of Science is awarded to participants who at the completion of the programme accomplish the following:
- Evaluate the accounting implications of an economic event by applying the principles, standards, and practices of financial accounting.
- Advise stakeholders of how strategic business risks relate to internal controls, financial reporting, tax, and/or audit using authoritative literature, fieldwork, surveys, archival, or other research data.
- Synthesize accounting information within the context of other business functions to inform the business decision-making process.
- Construct arguments for and against alternative accounting decisions by weighing the ethical, stakeholder, and stewardship implications of each.
- Identify and describe complex business problems in terms of analytical models.
- Apply appropriate analytical methods to find solutions to business problems that achieve stated objectives.
- Translate results of business analytic projects into effective courses of action.
- Demonstrate ethical decision-making in structured or unstructured and ambiguous situations.
- Exhibit effective collaboration and leadership skills.