The formal adoption of federalism by the FDRE constitution, the implementation of new economic policy, the enhancement of roles and responsibilities of the public service institutions, and the consequent need for highly qualified legal experts that can provide theoretical orientation and practical solutions to the new system have been major reasons for launching the program.
The new international developments have also brought about new challenges and opportunities to the Ethiopian public sector and necessitated the presence of qualified legal experts who can work according to the new context and contribute to national development. The program is designed to contribute to these.
Accordingly, the general objective of the program is to build capacity of the legal profession in the public sector by providing participants with advanced knowledge and skill that will enable them to:
1. advise the public sector on contemporary public law issues;
2. analyze and execute domestic legal instruments according to new policies;
3. conduct research and teach on contemporary legal issues related to public law; and
4. meet the policy requirements of the federal, regional and local governments.
Exit Level Outcomes
After completing the program, the graduate is able to:
1. Identify newly emerging challenges in public law;
2. Provide input in formulating public policy and legislation;
3. Design tools and methods of solving legal issues of public law institutions;
4. Develop tools of evaluating human rights standards, democratic practices and good governance;
5. Develop tools for building capacities of practitioners of public law at federal, regional and
local government levels ;
6. Conduct research on issues related to contemporary public law;
7. Analyze issues related to public law and good governance;
8. Demonstrate high standards in the implementation of public policies and laws;
9. Develop tools for building capacities of practitioners of public law at federal, regional and local