The main purpose of this program is to strengthen Ethiopian educated human resources in specialized theoretical and applied development policy areas concerned with developing countries including Ethiopia. The program intends to provide necessary theoretical knowledge for analyzing issues pertaining to Ethiopia. The program aspires to fulfill the strategic needs of the civil servants so as to make them more effective and relevant. In particular , it focuses on poverty and income distribution, the roles of technical change and inter-sectoral linkages in economic development and the significance of the state in the process of policy formulation for development.
The goal of development economists is to manage an area's resources and assets so as to best improve the quality of life and the standard of living for the local population in a sustainable way. The Development economics masters degree program seeks to provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical tools to work towards this goal. Upon completing the program, students shall have the ability to independently employ the methods and theories they have learnt to carry out their own research analyses of the real world problems. Students shall also have developed an ability to identify related problems in the real world and to incorporate adequate methods and theories to analyze these problems. More specifically, the masters program aims at: Providing students with the theoretical knowledge, policy awareness, problem solving research techniques and skills to tackle many of the challenges relating to economic development of the country.
Enabling students to have a good grasp of contemporary debates and policy-making in major areas of development. This will enable them to actively participate in decision-making on policies designed to promote sustainable development in the country. Improving student’s insights and ability to recognize and resolve economic policy issues in a methodologically sound and effective manner. Strengthening student’s capacity for evaluating policy options of the country against the background of the contemporary development theories and practices.
Exit Level Outcomes
At the end of the program, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply research methods and econometric tools in conducting scientific research in the area of Development Economics
- Design Development Projects
- Analyze contemporary development theories and Models in the Ethiopian context.
- Apply Agriculture and Rural development policies and strategies at national, regional and local level
- Evaluate the effects of Macroeconomic policies on major macroeconomic variables such as unemployment, inflation
- Annalyse contemporary natural resource and environmental issues.
- Evaluate international trade and finance policies
- Carry out consultancy services in areas of development economics
- Develop input for policy design.
- Play a leadership and a coordination role in team works for development.
- Contribute in bringing social and institutional changes to realize the goal of self-sustainable development.